Faculty of Humanities
Explore how individuals and society communicate, create, behave and grow.
How people think, feel, respond and develop has an impact on every aspect of modern life and especially on the world of work. The creative arts and communication sectors are equally important and a growing part of the world economy. Studying a degree in the humanities prepares you for a variety of work across industry, and is an excellent foundation for careers in management, teaching, psychology, human resources, law and political science. Studying a creative arts or communication degree prepares you for a range of creative positions in diverse work environments.
The School of Humanities offers a Bachelor of Arts (BA), and Bachelor of Arts (BA) degrees in Journalism, Public Relations and Graphic Design, as well as a BAHons (Graphic Design) and a Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Senior Phase and FET Teaching.
The Bachelor of Arts (BA) is a broad and flexible degree grounded in the behavioural sciences. You are able to tailor your subject choice to match your career goals through a choice of six specialised streams. These streams are Industrial Psychology and Human Resource Management, Psychology and Human Resource Management, Psychology and Political Science, Industrial Psychology and Political Science, Psychology and English and Industrial Psychology and English.
The BA (Journalism) covers a range of core modules such as English, Journalism Writing, Media Theory and Broadcast Journalism. You also get to practise your writing, editing, photography and basic design skills throughout the degree.
The BA (Public Relations) covers the core subject areas of Communication Science, Public Relations, Media Theory, Broadcasting Journalism and Journalism Writing. You get to plan PR campaigns and to develop essential abilities in planning campaigns, writing, presenting and basic design. Throughout the degree, you gain insights into the PR industry, business and marketing.
Our BA (Graphic design) and BA Hons (Graphic Design) span the multi-disciplinary nature of Graphic Design. The focus of the core modules is developing designers who are creative, well rounded, think independently and generate innovative designs. You will cover core practical modules such as Graphic Design, Digital Design, Drawing and Typography as well as the theory related to these and other subject areas.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Senior Phase and FET Teaching is a specialised postgraduate programme that prepares you for teaching in secondary schools.
What makes this school so outstanding is the immersive and experiential nature of our teaching and learning methods. Using a blend of interactive teaching, Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL), Work Integrated Learning (WIL) and project-based assessment that emulates the workplace, we ensure that you are ready to navigate the world of work with real world skills. We have state-of-the-art psychology and education-specific facilities like microteaching, observation and play therapy rooms and a counselling unit. We also have drawing, design and photographic studios and a journalism computer lab with design and editing software and a variety of media resources.
Our strong associations with industry bodies translate into programmes that are highly relevant and market driven. Through participation in community and degree-specific projects we also ensure that you gain skills essential to the modern workplace such as critical thinking, problem solving, being innovative, collaborating with others and communication.
Dean of faculty:
Dr. Johan Drotsky
Industry associations and accreditations
- Quality assured (internally and externally moderated) by an Academic Advisory Board of academics, industry representative and subject specialists.
- Design Education Forum of Southern Africa (DEFSA).
- The Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- Our students are actively involved in community projects.
- Our students have won Loeries, Gold Pack Awards and various other creative arts and design awards.
- Qualification modules are externally moderated by specialist academics from other higher education institutions.
- Our custom-designed psychology facilities that include one-way glass observation rooms for microteaching, counselling rooms and assessment and evaluation centres at the Midrand campus.
- Many of our graduates are actively involved in community-based, non-profit organisations and are in advocacy positions to change policy and regulate the profession.
- One of our MPsych graduates now works for Doctors without Borders.