Who We Are
Our past, present and future
As Pearson Institution of Higher Education, we are proud of our past and looking forward to our future.
We have enough history to be highly regarded academically but we are free from the restrictions that traditions often impose. This means that we can focus on the workplace of the future and what it really needs. We are pioneers in the higher education space in South Africa and are known for our innovative and collaborative approach to teaching and learning, and for developing employable graduates. We have also established our credibility by offering qualifications that are locally accredited and internationally recognised.
History contextualises your present and your future and for this reason, we feel you should know where we come from. Midrand Graduate Institute (MGI) was founded in 1989 as a private, university-level, degree-conferring institution in South Africa. It quickly developed a reputation for offering accredited and career-focused qualifications that prepared graduates for a highly competitive job market. From its early beginnings, it offered relevant and industry-aligned degrees with an emphasis on interactive, practical and experiential teaching and learning methods.
In 2013, Pearson became the sole owner of MGI. The acquisition formed part of the company’s strategic focus to invest in and have a positive and meaningful impact on education in southern Africa. In 2016 MGI was renamed Pearson Institute of Higher Education.
- Pearson is the world’s leading learning company
- We help people of all ages throughout the world make measurable progress in their lives through learning.
- Pearson is one of the largest private education companies in South Africa. We own many of the best-known and most-respected names in publishing: Heineman and Maskew Miller
- We operate in over 70 countries
- We publish in over 58 African languages
- We employ over 40 000 people globally
- Pearson distributed 23 million textbooks in South Africa in one year
- Over 80 000 teachers trained by Pearson in South Africa in one year
- We are world leaders in providing print and digital learning services, content and products
- Pearson owns Pearson Institute of Higher Education, formerly Midrand Graduate Institute (MGI)
Our future, your future
PI gives you the opportunity to shape your own future. We offer you a range of qualifications and programmes, led by the latest industry discoveries and trends, which prepare you for the world of work.Our teaching methods ensure that you acquire subject-specific skills, work-appropriate behaviours and confidence in using relevant technology.
We offer 16 undergraduate and four postgraduate degrees across our three faculties of Humanities, Commerce and Law, and Applied Sciences. We also offer specialist higher certificates and short learning programmes. We have 12 educational sites of delivery, which gives you the flexibility to study at a location that best suits you, and our campus in Midrand offers you a unique residential environment.
We are guided by the learner, by trends and by employers and our vison for our future, and yours, is that we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. We continue to find new ways of doing things, to give more students employment-orientated skills and to prepare you for the rapidly changing world of work.
Experience a world of learning at Pearson Institute
At Pearson Institute of Higher Education our enduring priority is our students. With this philosophy at the heart of everything we do, here are just some of the reasons why you should study with us:
- A strong global heritage: we are backed by the world’s leading learning company
- Campuses throughout South Africa: 12 sites of education delivery
- Qualifications of academic excellence: we are locally registered and accredited and internationally recognised
- Industry-led curriculum: we are responsive to the demands of the job market so we ensure our material, content and academic services are relevant and current.
- Career-focused higher education qualifications and programmes: you have a choice of over 34 academic and non-formal programmes across three faculties, all equipping you with the skills you need for the world of work.
Blended approach to teaching and learning: we used traditional and new learning methods, as well as practical application, to prepare you for the rapidly changing and technology driven world of work.
- Qualified and experienced academic staff: Our staff has both academic and real world experience so you will learn from lecturers who are highly qualified and committed to your success
- Smaller class sizes: You will interact more closely with our lecturers, which encourages better understanding and promotes independent thinking.
- Diverse student base: We have students from over 18 countries. This diversity prepares you for the international and globalised nature of the workplace.